Home \ Antisocial behaviour (ASB) \ The Community Trigger

The Community Trigger

The Community Trigger is a process which allows members of the public to ask their local Community Safety Partnership to review how the authorities have responded to incidents of anti-social behaviour.

When to use it

If you have reported at least three incidents of repeated antisocial behaviour in the last six months (within one month of each incident occurring) and the problem has not been dealt with, you can use the Community Trigger to alert the Community Safety Partnership. The process applies to behaviour causing harassment, alarm or distress to members of the public, and covers incidents such as vandalism, public drunkenness, and noisy or abusive neighbours.

The Trigger can be used on behalf of a victim, for example by a friend, family member or carer. However, the victim must give their consent before action can be taken.

When not to use it

If you haven't reported a three incidents within a month of them happening within the last six months you should follow the normal procedure for dealing with antisocial behaviour. More information is available here. The Community Trigger should not be used to report general acts of crime, such as hate crimes, although you may want to include incidents like these if they constitute part of the antisocial behaviour.

The Trigger does not replace existing complaints procedures for any of the agencies involved and does not prevent you from contacting the Local Government Ombudsman or Independent Police Complaints Commission should you require.

How to use it

To use the Community Trigger, you need to write to your local Community Safety Partnership or contact them online via the website.

You will need to provide details of each incident you have reported previously including the date, the details of what happened, the Incident Reference Number (if available), and the name of the organisation you spoke with.

By initiating the Trigger you agree to allow your details to be shared with other agencies.

Select your district to find the right contact details:


Canterbury Community Safety Unit

Write to: Community Safety Unit, Canterbury City Council, Military Road, Canterbury, Kent CT1 1YW

Click here to report it online.




Dover Community Safety Unit

Write to: Community Safety Unit, Dover District Council, White Cliffs Business Park, Dover, Kent CT16 3PJ

Click here to report it online.




Folkestone & Hythe Community Safety Unit

Write to: Community Safety Unit, Shepway District Council, Civic Centre,  Castle Hill Avenue, Folkestone, Kent, CT20 2QY

More information on the Folkestone & Hythe District Council website



Thanet Community Safety Unit

Write to: Community Safety Unit, Thanet District Council, Cecil Street,      Margate, Kent CT9 1XZ

Click here to report it online.